Saturday, April 2, 2011

Baguette*

So I was making onion soup and I realized I have a problem.
I swore not to buy any bread, and how can I serve onion soup without baguette?
Easy question, I'll just have to make some, believe it or not, it's as easy as any other thing, and came out pretty amazing. I think that was the first time I had a real 'crust' on my bread, I think I figured it out. Please try this at home.


Ingredients:

4 Cups white flour.
2 Cups warm water.
2 Tsp salt.
1 Tbs dry yeast.



Preparation:


- Mix the yeast and water, stir, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Take two bowls (at least one of them has to be large), put 2.5 cups of flour in one (the larger one), and the rest in the other (best of you pour the flower through a thin mesh).
- Add 1 tsp salt to each to the bowls and mix.
- Add the water and yeast mixture to the large bowl, mix until well incorporated.
- Cover and let rise for 3 hours (Can be less if you put in a slightly warm place, not too warm though- about 30c). It should triple in size.
- After three hours, gently mix in the rest of the flour-salt mix, and knead well for 10 minutes.
- Let rise for another hour, until it doubles its size.

- Preheat oven to 250c (takes about 30 minutes).

- Divide the dough to three pieces (I recommend taking out one piece at a time, leaving the rest of the dough covered).
- Using your hand roll the dough and create a 'sausage'.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Let rise for 20 minutes more.
- Place a heatproof bowl filled with water on the bottom of the oven (this will create the crust), put the baguettes in the oven.
- After 15 minutes, carefully remove the bowl from the oven. Continue baking for 10 more minutes (making a total of 25).


That's it, I know it may look complicated but it really isn't.


*Recipe adjusted from 'Famous French Desserts'.

No comments:

Post a Comment