Friday, April 8, 2011

Quick Thai thing


So by now my friend Yam left me, and I'm actually minutes away from going on tour, I hope I'll be able to continue posting (and more importantly, continue cooking) while on the road.

I'm not an expert on Thai food, my good friend Misha told me recently that the basic rule is that there are 4 flavors: sweet, sour, spicy and salty, and every dish should combine two of them. I can't say I worked by that rule, but it did taste great, and it did feel Thai.


Ingredients:

- Broad rice noodles.
- Dry chili (I would've used fresh if I had one).
- 500g broccoli.
- Generous handful of mushrooms.
- 2 Tbs sugar.
- 2-3 Tbs soy sauce.
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- 2 onions, cut into half-rings.
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger, chopped.
- Handful chopped basil leaves.
- Handful of peanuts, chopped.
- Lime (for serving, but highly recommended).



Preparation:

- Cook the broccoli in salted boiling water for about 5 minutes, you want it cooked, but not too soft.
- In a large pan, heat Canola oil (or sunflower) and sugar. Meanwhile you can start cooking the noodles.
- When the sugar is brown, add the onions and chili, fry for 3 minutes, until the onions are soft.

- Add garlic, ginger, soy and mushrooms.
- When the mushrooms are brown and soft, add the broccoli and peanuts (you can add more soy if things look a little pale).
- Stir in the cooked noodles, serve with chopped basil leaves and lime.

No comments:

Post a Comment