Saturday, June 25, 2011

Hide and cook

As I mentioned in the last post, this week’s experience was far less enjoyable.
I’m glad to say I since gotten to a new place, but as always I’m a week late, so I’ll try and dig back all those bad memories.

After our Tuscan castle experience we continued to a horse farm in Emilia Romagna, that beside horses had a lot of interesting things: Nuts, mulberries, Amarena cherries, chickens, geese, vineyard, herb garden and a few more.
Unfortunately they didn’t want us to do anything with any of those. Instead we were to stack firewood, and when we finished that, there was nothing left to do. Having been deprived of cooking for so long, we snuck in the kitchen, which resulted in us becoming the dish washers for the place’s restaurant.
I actually still enjoyed that, being in a restaurant’s kitchen was somewhat exciting; sadly this place served some of the worst food you could find in Italy. We ate so badly and so little (they refused to except that Dani is a vegetarian, and had meat twice a day), we knew we have to do something about it.
So in the first chance we got we took over the kitchen (for about 6 minutes, I’m way too paranoid to stay any longer than that).
This is what I came up with, as I said, takes about 6 minutes (well most of it anyway).

Mint and zucchini pesto:

2 Zucchini.
About 1 cup fresh mint.
4 garlic cloves.
Handful of pine nuts or chopped walnuts.
About half a cup of grated parmesan.
Half a cup chopped chives.
Olive oil.

Preparation:

- Slice the zucchini to about 1/2cm thick slices (unlike in the picture, I did triangles; I think this way is better). Drizzle with olive oil, and put in the oven for about 10 minutes, until almost soft.
- Blend everything together, either in a blender or crush it using a mortar and pestle.
- When the zucchini is done, dice it and mix with the pesto.
- Serve with pasta; I think Tagliatelle works best here.

No comments:

Post a Comment