Monday, August 1, 2011

(Almost) Vegan Feast – Part 2/2

So I finally have internet connection again. It's been more than two weeks, and it made me think (and cook).
I've been farming for two months now, and it feels like much more. I always like to say I get bored easily, and can't stay in the same place (or do the same thing) for too long.
Growing up, I said I was going to be an astronomer, then football player, then volcanologist, tennis player, painter, photographer, musician, filmmaker and now there's this whole cooking business,
and more specifically, farming. Unfortunately, this pattern of giving my all to something and then leaving it behind, didn't leave me with a clear idea of what I do want to do, if anything it made me cinical.
Every day endless thoughts of a brighter future, with my own vegetable garden and perfect kitchen are smashed by this questioning voice, it starts with eliminating the option of having a farm. I'll probably never have the money (after all I am a musician),
then, more importantly, my fickle character- sure I like hoeing now, and picking tomatoes and zucchini, but the thought of being bound to one place, one house, one country. I've spent the last two and a half years constantly moving around, not staying in the same place for longer than a month at the most.
I've started (and gave up) learning two different languages, and was planning on a few others, started writing two scripts (and gave up), rented three different apartments (again, for no longer than a month each), it's obvious that operating a farm, is out of the question, as well as having a dog/cat/tomato plant/ or any other thing that requires looking after.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, anyway, the important thing is that I think I'm
improving as a cook, and that I started making this great new sauce. Here it is.

Peanut butter sauce (two variations):


Zucchini roll:
5 zucchini (I'm pretty sure this dish would work perfectly with eggplant instead, if you prefer).
chives (as you can see in the pictures, I used scallions, but chives would be better).
Iceberg lettuce, chopped.
Basil.
Olive oil.

For Sauce:

2 tbs chunky peanut butter (If you don't have chunky, I suggest you add chopped peanuts).
1 tsp mustard.
1 tsp honey.
Preparation:

- Preheat oven to 200c.
- Slice the zucchini to long thin slices. Brush with olive oil, and roast for about 15 minutes, until the zucchini are soft, but not falling apart. Let them cool a bit.

- Place the zucchini slices on a plastic wrap, very close together, slightly on top of each other.
- Sprinkle with the lettuce, then chives, and the basil leaves.
- Roll carefully, and place in the fridge for about an hour.
- Heat a little olive oil in a small pan, melt the peanut butter, than stir in the mustard and honey. Once everything is incorporated, the sauce is ready.
- Remove the plastic wrap, and carefully cut the roll into 5cm rings, pour the sauce over them.


String Beans and peanuts:

500g string beans, cut into thirds.
3 cloves of garlic.
2 sprigs lemon verbena, or zest of one lemon.
1 fresh or dry chili.
2 tbs chunky peanut butter.
1 tsp mustard.
1 tsp honey.
Olive oil.
Basil.
Preparation:

- Cook the beans in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large sauce pan, add garlic and chili, then peanut butter, honey and mustard.
- When the peanut butter melts, add in the beans, fry for 2 more minutes. Sprinkle with basil, and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I love your posts. Looking forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete