Friday, March 18, 2011

Broccoli and leek soup

I realized that the best way to decide on what to cook is to follow the nearby supermarket's 'on sale veggies' list. Now, I can't really think of any reason that would cause a certain vegetable to be on sale, but I tend not to bother myself with complicated questions.

So right now it's broccoli and leeks (I still haven't figured the German name for it, I thought it was 'lauchen' but now I see its 'porree') now, after almost a week of trying to figure out how to use them in the most 'efficient way' (a combination of good food, that's somewhat challenging to make, tastes good, looks good and there's a lot of it) I finally gave up and decided to make soup.

So this is what I did. Again, with some donations from my roommates.

1 Broccoli (500g), separated into flours, no stems.
2 Onions, chopped.
3 Leeks, cut into rings.
4 Garlic cloves, crushed.
5 Potatoes, diced.
3 Carrots, diced.
3 Bay leaves.
1/2 Tsp. Thyme.
1/4 Tsp. Nutmeg.
Salt and pepper.
Olive oil.
20g Butter.
Dry chili.
* If you don't have a lot of vegetables you can add 2 tbs of flour which will thicken the soup a bit.


In a large soup pot, fry the chili, onions and garlic in olive oil. Add the leeks, carrots, potatoes, butter, thyme and bay leaves. Stir until butter is melted, add the broccoli and cover with water*, bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and cook for at least an hour, stirring occasionally.


Add nutmeg, and remove bay leaves. Mince using a stick mixer.

Serve with sour cream and chopped parsley.


*You can add a little extra water and take some out before mincing, makes a good vegetable stock, which you can also freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment