Monday, April 25, 2011

Hammantaschen (Ozne Hamman)

I made these for the first time about a month ago. It's the traditional cookie for Purim (more or less the jewish Halloween), and I never really liked it.

After a few weeks of self pitty and longing for my friends and family in Israel, I figured this would be a good way of feeling closer to home.
It took two times to get them right (they were good the first time, but terribly ugly), and after I did, I discovered that they're one of the best things to make; Super quick, and super tasty (I would also mention they stay good for a while, but they were always eaten before I had the chance to check).


So here it goes:
Ingredients:


For dough:

3 cups white flour.
1/2 a cup sugar.
200g melted butter.
1/2 tbs baking powder.
2 tbs lemon juice.
2 tbs sour cream.
2 eggs.

For filling

50g Bitter-sweet chocolate.
3 tbs Nutella (not necessary).
2 tbs cream.
1 tbs sugar (if you don't add nuttela you may want to add more).
1 tbs instant coffee.
1 tsp vanilla extract.
Chopped hazelnuts.

Powdered sugar (not necessary)



Preparation:

- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Melt the chocolate, add in all the other ingredients for the filling, and let cool for a bit (while you make the dough)
- Mix all the ingredients (I suggest you add the butter last, if it's too dry, add a bit more), until well incorporated together.

- Divide the dough into three. Take one ball, flatten it (Should be about 1cm thick) and make
round using a glass (make sure the rest of the dough is covered with a towel, otherwise it'll get too dry to work with)
Put about 1tsp of filling in the center of each circle, close tightly, forming a triangle. (if you don't seal it well it'll get flat when heated).
- Bake for about 10 minutes (should just barely change color).

- Cool on a rack, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

This post is dedicated to my roommates, I had a great time living with you, I'm sure we'll meet again, and I hope this recipe will serve you well (and remind you of me).

No comments:

Post a Comment