Friday, April 22, 2011

New pasta and secret helpers


It's been almost two weeks since the last time I cooked and it's starting to kick in.
I spend a good deal of my time (mostly while sitting in the back seat of our 'van', bored out of mind) writing down ingredient combinations that I'd like to try as soon as I get the chance (which will probably be in a month or so).
I am now on a ferry from Dover to Dunquerque, and can finally post again. In the last post I mentioned I was running out of pictures and will soon be forced to stop writing, however, luckily I have an amazing secret helper (the lovely Dani)
who made this pasta according to my recipe, and took pictures (way better than the usual ones). I discovered that there are very few things that make me happier than when someone cooks according to my instructions.
So I'm happy now.

This pasta was the one I made for my goodbye dinner from my last apartment (I still owe my roommates another recipe which I will post soon).
It is a bit unorthodox cause it's somewhat sweet, I really like combinations of sweet and savory things but I know its not for eveyrone.



Mushroom and caramel pasta:


Ingeredients:

500g Long pasta (Spaghetti, Fettucine, Linguine).
300g Mushrooms.
2-3 onions.
1 dry chilli.
3 garlic cloves, crushed.
2-3 tbs sugar.
2 tbs breadcrumbs.
Olive oil.
Lots of freshly chopped parsley and basil (about one cup).

Preparation:

- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add sugar.
- When the sugar is burnt (caramel) add the onions and chili, and fry for 3 minutes, until the onions are slightly softened.
- Add mushrooms and breadcrumbs and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper, remove from fire.
- Mix with the pasta and herbs.


That's it.







*Very special thanks to Dani.
**Photos by Dani Halifa.

No comments:

Post a Comment